Pages

Monday 23 September 2013

Last Bob Graham expedition of the season

So on Saturday I offered to help Dave Spencer on leg 3 of his Bob Graham attempt, along with Simon and Kev as co support runners and, having seen from his on-line tracker that Dave was whizzing along when I got up at 4:45 am on Saturday morning, I crammed down some porridge and a cup of tea, grabbed my stuff (and Harry) and swiftly drove over to Dunmail Raise. I think I got there just before 7 am with Dave then soon appearing over the crest of Seat Sandal and, before I could say Jack Robinson, we were hacking our way up Steel Fell and on our way. To be honest I wasn't absolutely sure how I'd feel doing 16 pretty tough miles over leg 3 just a week after my successful BG but as it turned out I felt okay (whereas tonight on a 3.5 mile run I felt completely crap!).

Dave also was going along well although I did suspect he'd over cooked things on his first leg, doing it in an extremely fast time of 3 hours 36 minutes or thereabouts. That said everybody has their own strengths and weaknesses and Dave seemed to be going along strong, at least to begin with. Later on in the leg though his right knee began seizing up and, as time went on, things went from bad to worse and although Dave pushed on to visit all the peaks on the leg and get down to Wasdale he knew it was all over and called it a day. Still a Fantastic effort and a good run out for me and Harry too. And Simon and Kev obviously with some top notch navigation from Simon all the way round. The weather was foggy and damp though so a bit rubbish for photos:

Leg 3 in all its glory - Dunmail far right and Wasdale far left with 15 peaks in between

Dave (on the right) taking on water and pain killers after Harrison Stickle with Simon (left)

Kev and Harry er..... somewhere (just before Pike O'Stickle)

Bob Grahaming has been completely brilliant this year and, flicking back through my blog, on top of Saturday's outing, I've put in some great Bobajobbing:


Roll on next year with lots of Bob Graham running in good and bad weather and, of course, mine and Gav's next attempt at an anti-clockwise BGR in June!

1 comment:

  1. Ya they really blew me away on Leg 1. I never went up Skidaw as fast. Eventually I bypassed blencathra and cut over to Skidaw house.

    ReplyDelete